Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Hero

Lots of people have a wonderful father in their life who is always there for them no matter what. My real dad is not such a great guy and has never been there for us. We don't even really know him that well. I have a wonderful step dad who is great to me but he wasn't around until I was about 12 years old. I always felt like I missed out on a father figure who was the example of what a real man should be. This was incredibly hard for me, so I can't imagine what it is like for a boy growing up that way. The father is supposed to be the person who teaches him how to be a man and a father and a husband.
My brother Dave has overcome the odds in such a big way. He grew up in a house with 4 women. I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like. Poor guy never stood a chance on ever winning an arguement. He never stood a chance on understanding why he was even in an arguement to begin with. As a woman I know that sometimes we argue over things that are so ridiculous to men that they have no idea what to do but stand there looking dumbfounded and not make any sudden movements. When we were growing up, I'm sure that more than once I was the reason for his confusion. Now that I am older I feel so bad for him. lol
My brother is my example of what a man should be. He took the information he was given from the men who were terrible and used it as a guide of what not to do. I am so proud of the person he has become. He is married to a woman that he has been dating since high school and he treats her like a queen. He has not followed the "talk to her like a dog and smack her around when that doesn't work" example that he grew up around.
He has found his way to God and his teaching his kids as such. That's pretty strange coming from the "don't go to church and do what you want" teachings that he was raised with. His children are taught to feel the love of God and to try to do the right thing to be the best person that you can be. His children in turn are trying to do the right things and be good people.
Dave has become a model father. I don't really understand how he is such a wonderful father even though there was nobody to teach him how. He spends time with his kids and attends their events and schools. He teaches his boys to be respectful and polite and also how to have fun. His boys eyes light up when he walks into a room. It's truly is a magnificent thing to see. Even though he is strict with his boys, you can tell that they know that they have the best daddy there ever was. They are correct.
All these things make me so proud to call myself his sister. The thing that makes me the most proud is he is just a great human being. He takes the time to listen to people and try to help them with their problems. I am so lucky to have such a strong,intellegent,wonderful many in my life. My brother is one of my best friends and he gives me an example of the type of person, we all should strive to be. I am so proud to be in his presence and he truly is my hero!

2 comments:

Monique said...

Unknown said...

It seems to me that despite not having a good, consistent male figure in his life, the women that surrounded him all those years also helped form the wonderful man that he's become!
Love this post!